I love the magical space between the listener and the teller.
Through the combined imagination of all those present shared lives, worlds and experiences arise. This gives me the feeling of being able to share a charm.
More than anything I love telling old passed down folktales, that on one hand are classic and archetypical, but at the same time have about them something atypical, unusual, and surprising. I also enjoy choosing short astounding stories of wisdom.
I have specialized in telling to adult audiences,
which of course influences my choice of stories.
FRAU WOLLE, KARIN TSCHOLL (not Karen!)
I have been making my living as a fairytale and story teller since 1995, telling easily and fluently in German, English and Tyrolean dialect.
I have worked with translators several times (into sign language, Spanish, Portuguese and Chinese).
I have traveled extensively and have told so far in 14 countries from Stockholm to Damascus, from Latvia to Algeria.
I appear about 77 times per year at varied events for adults. My style is distinguished by clear, rich language, strong telling material, fine humor and my love of the stories. I gesture but do not act very much and often my storytelling has been descirbed as relaxed and captivating at the same time.
FESTIVALS, at which Frau Wolle has up till now told
in the World
* in Damascus, Syria, "Dialogue Culturel Syrie-Europe" 2002
There, at an East-West Conference, Frau Wolle, as a storyteller, represented the West and jointly with Shirine El Ansary from Cairo organized an East-West evening of storytelling.
* in Algier, Algeria, at a "Germanistik-Konferenz" (German Philology Conference) as the Austrian contribution to the culture programe and at a dinner in the Austrian embassy for the staff of the University.
* in Chevilly Larue near Paris, France, in the "Maison du Conte" (House of Stories) "Paroles Européenes" 2001
* in Guadalajara, Spain, "Maratón de los Cuentos" (Marathon of Stories) 2001, 2011 and 2012
* in Beja, Portugal, "Palavras Andarilhas" (Wandering Words) 2001
* in Alden Biesen, Belgium, "Internationaal Vertelfestival" 2001 + 2002 + 2006 + 2014
* in Rotterdam, Holland, "Dunya Festival" 2001
* in Utrecht, Holland, "Verteltheaterdagen" 2002
* in Stockholm, Sweden, together with Mats Rehnmann in 2004
* in Rüttihubel Bad in Switzerland, "Rüttihubler Märchentage" 2007
* in Bad Zurzach in Switzerland "Mundart-Zurzach" 2008
* "Racontamiunastoria", international storytelling festival Bozen/Bolzano, Italy 2012
* "Schloss Werdenberg"storytelling festival in Buchs, Switzerland 2016
* "Jungfrau-Erzählfestival" storytelling festival in Interlaken, Switzerland 2017
* "Berättar Festival" storytelling festival in Ljunby, Sweden 2017
* "Baltica" Storytelling Festival in Riga, Lettland 2018
* Aachen, "Zwischen Zeiten" (Between Times) International Telling Festival 2002
* Nürnberg, "ZauberWort" (MagicWord) 2003
* Burg Namedy am Rhein, "Internationales Sommerfest der Kulturen" 2003
* Artland, "Artland Erzählfest" (Artland Telling Festival) 2003
* Dortmund, "Weltgeschichtentag" (World Storytelling Day) 2004
* auf der Tromm,"Epos" Europäisches Erzählertreffen (Meeting of European Storytellers) 2004
* Freiburg, Erzählfestival (Storytelling Festival) 2005
* Bergisch Gladbach,Internationales Erzählfestival (International Storytelling Festival) 2005 + 2009 + 2016
* Stuttgart,"Fluss der Worte" (River of Words) 2005
* Neukirchen-Vlyun, "Drittes Märchen-Festival und Wettbewerb der besten deutschsprrachigen Märchen-und Geschichtenerzähler" (Third Fairytale Festival and contest of the best German speaking storytellers) 2007 (1st Prize) + 2009
* Konstanz, "MundWerk" Grenzenloses Erzählkunstfestival (Borderless Storytelling Art Festival) 2007
* Hannover, "11. Festival der Erzählkunst" (11th Festival of the art of Storytelling)2008
* Gelsenkirchen "HÖR MAL - das Fest der Geschichtenerzähler" 2010 + 2015
* Kassel Sparda-Erzählfestival 2016
* Innsbruck, Tirol, Feuermond Erzählreihe (Firemoon telling sequence) since 1998 until today
* Telfs, Tirol, Drei Wünsche Märchenfestival (Three Wishes Festival of Fairytales) 2000 + 2001 + 2002
* Wattens, Tirol, Tiroler Sagen + Märchenfestival 2003
* Landeck, Tirol, "Erzählfestival im Schloss" (Telling Festival in the Castle) 2004
* Hard, Vorarlberg, Fanatstischer Jänner (Fantastic January) in Kammgarn 2003 + 2004 + 2005
* Mariatrost near Graz, Steiermark, "Festival österreichischer Märchenerzähler/innen" (Festival of Austrian Fairytale Tellers) 1998 + 2000 + 2004
* Burg Oberkapfenberg, Steiermark, Märchenfest (Fairytale Gathering) 2005
* Graz, Steiermark, "Graz erzählt" (Graz tells) 1998 + 2000 + 2002 + 2006
* Graz "Silver Ear" - Contest 2006 (2nd Prize)
* Fabelhaft Niederösterreich" (Fabulous Niederösterreich) 2007 + 2008
* Grazer Nächte der Erzählkunst" 2009 + 2010 + 2012 + 2016.
* Erzähl-es-Innsbruck" 2009 + 2010 + 2011 + 2012 + 2013.
FRAU WOLLE HISTORY
about 1,500 appearances up to now (summer 2018).
° Born Feb. 26, 1968 in Innsbruck, Austria.
° Studies: Comparative Literature and German Philology, graduated 1995.
° Graduating thesis, "Eine Sammlung: Mächtige Frauen in Märchen aus Ghana und Österreich".
(A collection: Powerful Women in Fairytales from Ghana and Austria.)
° Spent time in Ghana, west Africa in researching west African fairytales and oral tradition.
° Lived in Santa Cruz, California (3 years) and Kauai, Hawaiian Islands.
Have won two prizes so far at the two contests I participated in.
Published 7 books and sold more than 25,000 of them up to now (summer 2018).
The free and lively telling differs significantly from reading aloud from a book. Because we are familiar with the idea of an "evening of reading", the two sometimes become confused.
So - be aware - I DO NOT READ!
Plakat of the international storytelling festival in Alden Biesen, Belgium
I am the one in the left lower corner spinning wool.
Frau Wolle, freie Geschichten- und Märchenerzählerin für Erwachsene Telefonnummer 0043 - (0) 512 - 37 03 16